Adora Svitak: What adults can learn from kids

I am inspired by kids every day; it is why I’ve been a middle school teacher for the past 15 years. I learn from kids about new technologies, interesting books, and daily life as a millennial tween.  I am reminded on a daily basis to laugh, be in the moment, and not take life too seriously all the time.  I witness moments of learning, sparks of imagination, and creative wheels spinning before my very eyes. I laugh, I cry, I get frustrated, I learn, I teach, I care, and I am passionate about what I do.  I clearly remember being a student teacher and having to write my educational philosophy.  Sixteen years later, the last line still rings true for me, “I intend to learn as much from my students as they learn from me.”  Thank you, Adora Svitak for reminding me that I am so incredibly lucky to do what I do every day!

4 thoughts on “Adora Svitak: What adults can learn from kids

1. Keith Schoch

I just started teaching sixth grade this year, and while many may not consider this middle school, I’m pretty exhausted by the end of the day. I never would have guessed that there’s so much drama and eddying conflict in students this age (even though I was one 100 years ago).

After teaching third and fourth for 20+ years, this older group was a real eye opener. Yes, it takes some special (certifiable) people to work with this age group.

1. mrspal1 Post author

Sixth grade is absolutely middle school! I taught sixth for a long time and absolutely adored them…awkwardness and all! Yes, we are a special breed…if you can’t laugh at yourself as a middle school teacher, you are up a creek without a paddle! Thanks for commenting, Keith. You know I always enjoy reading your blog(s). Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher! Tell them I told you that next time they are being…well…you know…middle schoolers! ;o)

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Adora Svitak: What adults can learn from kids | middle school 101 -- Topsy.com

3. Karen McMillan

I’d love to be able to comment on your post, but I’m still stuck on the first line. 15 years teaching middle schoolers?!! How in the world have you managed to keep your sanity? Or…have you? Is that how you’ve stayed so long in middle school…you check your sanity at the door? I’m in my fourth year teaching seventh grade; half the time I want to pull my hair out, the other half I’d like to pull somebody else’s hair out!

Ok, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system…

I so agree with you. My students do inspire me to be better, even when they’re living the seventh grade drama. Perhaps, especially then. I often ask my students for input on their education, and after watching Adora’s TEDTalk, I think I need to remember to listen to ALL of their suggestions…even the ones I think are ridiculous. Perhaps, especially those.

Thank you for the reminder!