So, what do you believe?

On January 25th, I began the process of teaching 8th graders how to write a “This I Believe” essay in 350-500 words.  It seemed like a simple task until I realized the magnitude of what I was asking them to discover about themselves, in addition to being able to share that information with me.  Although I can’t share the essays with you, I have created a video with true belief statements extracted from the original pieces. I hope this will inspire you to ask yourself what you believe in…go ahead…ask your students, too!

These are the original slides that we created the video from:

7 thoughts on “So, what do you believe?

1. mrspal1 Post author

Thanks for your response, Yoon. You made my heart smile today! I’m so proud of them, what they are capable of, and what they will become in the future. We are lucky to work with such great kids!

2. Jenn

I believe that my child has been truly blessed to have such wonderful teachers in his life. I believe that he will go on to great things because of what he has learned in this great school.

3. mrspal1 Post author

Thanks for your response, Jenn. It has been a pleasure teaching your son for the past three years. Did you guess which slide was his? Don’t post it on here…I’m being very mysterious with the kids about the owners of the slides! ;O)

4. Pingback: Who am I? Identity Portfolio | middle school 101

5. Pingback: Meet Me in the Middle