Teaching the Holocaust using 21st Century Skills

Two years ago, I was fortunate enough to be trained in Holocaust Education through Facing History and Ourselves.  At the time, I had no idea how that program would change so much of my program.  If you ever get a chance to be involved with the organization, it is an amazing experience!

Since then, I’ve created a year-long 8th grade research project, make.a.difference, in which students choose a person or organization that has made a positive difference in the world.  Facing History uses the Holocaust as a catalyst for teaching tolerance as well as choosing to participate in order to make the world a better place.

In 7th grade, I’ve created a rich Holocaust Education experience involving film, literature, short stories, poems, and graphic novels.  I challenged my 7th graders to research a survivor or upstander from the Holocaust to remember.  They used imovie and photostory to create a digital story about their person.  The end result was powerful, meaningful, and moving.  Click here to view all of their amazing creations!

My diigo list of Holocaust resources.

3 thoughts on “Teaching the Holocaust using 21st Century Skills

1. Colleen Kroeker

This year I had my students research a Holocaust survivor or victim (they usually chose a child). After learning about the person they had to take 3 photographs of things that were symbolic of that person. It was a great way to teach symbolism. The kids took amazing pictures. They then took the information and the photographs and created a poster to honor that person. We are about to share them. The students loved the project, and the quality of work was great.

1. mrspal1 Post author

What a great project, Colleen! I love the photography/symbolism connection with it as well. I would love to see some of the final projects if you get a photo or video of it! Thanks so much for sharing! :o)

2. Pingback: Teaching the Holocaust and Other Genocides at Social Studies Sideshow